CapSciComm Founder Ben Landis here. We know everyone’s been itching for some fun way to socialize during these critical times to #StayHome and #FlattenTheCurve. So here’s the first of our many CapSciComm experiments with virtual events for our members and friends in the community!
TRIVIA WITH THE BENS!
Presented by Capital Science Communicators
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
Game start 7:00 p.m. Pacific (aiming to end by 9:00 p.m.)
Participate via conference phone line or Twitter
- Download the Trivia Answer Sheet here (print out or type directly in PDF!)
- Hear Trivia Questions via Audio Line: Dial (978) 990-5000 Code 508130
- Read Trivia Questions via Twitter: twitter.com/CapSciComm
Tuesday’s game will be hosted by me, Ben Landis, together with CapSciComm Member Ben Nicholson. We want tonight to be a fun night — we will absolutely not ask anything about viruses or diseases! So please have a good time with our fun little escape from reality tonight.
Now just to set the stage. Our trivia format is modeled after one local series that’s near to our heart, the Fox & Goose pub quiz hosted by Kevin Ice for many years. Tuesdays would be our normal trivia night at the Fox & Goose, where Kevin had recently announced his retirement. We’re quite sad to see the end of this era, so our quiz is definitely a tribute to his good work.
About our game: Our format is four rounds of eight questions each. The questions will get a little more difficult with each round. And since this is a CapSciComm event, all the questions will have a STEM theme to them — but maybe in unexpected ways. For example, each round will have a question specifically related to our greater Sacramento region. Finally, in honor of Women’s History Month, one question in each round tonight will be about women in STEM.
And our house rules:
- Teams: There’s no limit on how many people to a team. Whether you’re playing solo, or with your family or roommates, or even remotely with friends over text or chat, come up with your team name and get ready to play! (If you’re tweeting a selfie with your team, be sure to use the hashtag #CapSciCommLive)
- Questions: Ben and Ben will be reading the questions out loud over the conference phone line, and we’ll also be posting each question on our CapSciComm Twitter page: twitter.com/CapSciComm
- Scoring: We’ll score answers after each round — to make things simple for this first outing, you guys are on your honor to score your own answer sheets.
- No Peeking! Finally, no checking your phone or the internet or your home bookshelf for answers while playing! Let’s keep things a little competitive here.
At the end of our quiz, we’ll ask folks to share their final scores over the phone and/or tweet photos of their completed answer sheets (tag #CapSciCommLive), and see who all came out on top! We’ll be sure to recognize the top winners via CapSciComm Twitter and Facebook.
Bear with us as we will undoubtedly be navigating some technical kinks in this first outing. But it should be a blast, and I hope you all can join us. Let’s get some trivia on!
See you on Tuesday night!
Ben Young Landis
CapSciComm Founder and Executive Co-Chair